These days, MSPs and IT professionals are everywhere. There is no shortage of venues where you can discover a friendly tech or an experienced service provider (or both! ), from your neighborhood hardware store to the big box retailers. However, that does not imply that they are all equally trustworthy.
The specific needs and resources of your organization will determine whether you should hire an IT specialist or an MSP (Managed Service Provider). Your organization’s needs and resources should be carefully considered before selecting an IT specialist and an MSP. It may also be worthwhile to combine the two, using an MSP for overall IT management and support and an IT person for on-site help. Following are some benefits and drawbacks of hiring IT guys and MSPs regarding your company’s IT needs.
Why Hire a Managed IT Service Provider?
Many companies don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to managing their IT needs. They often don’t have a dedicated team working on their technology and flounder in an overwhelmed and unproductive environment.
A managed IT service provider can help you get a handle on your technology and avoid these pitfalls. They may be able to provide solutions that are tailored to your specific needs. With an MSP, you can be sure you’re getting a full-service approach that includes expert advice, total control over all aspects of your technology, and a consistent level of service.
The managed IT service provider can handle more complicated IT tasks like backup and disaster recovery methods, network administration, cybersecurity procedures, data management services, and server management, to mention a few. In other words, think of your internal IT department as your daily IT support provider.
Pros and Cons When Hiring an IT Guy or MSP
Like any other business decision, there are pros and cons to hiring an IT guy or an MSP.
Hiring an IT Guy
• An IT guy can assist you with hardware configuration and setup.
• An IT guy will be available to your business during peak business hours.
• A good IT person should be able to assist your business and staff members with desktop repair, virus removal, and software issues.
• Hiring a single IT specialist with a salary, health insurance, and other perks may be expensive depending on experience and specialty.
• It can be too much work for one individual to be the network manager, infrastructure planner, and IT support person for your IT department.
• The talents of your in-house IT specialist might only be dependent on the work they perform daily; they might not be as quick to adopt new technology.
Hiring an MSP
• Managed service providers have access to cutting-edge equipment. Your MSP should be able to support you with workstations, networks, servers, software, and hardware, regardless of the industry you’re in.
• The most crucial aspect of any organization, continuity, should be protected by your managed IT service provider. MSPs should be able to guarantee that your system is up and operating as much as possible by reducing the risk of downtime.
• You have access to a group of committed IT experts who work on what they do for at least eight to nine hours daily.
• Some remote IT support services are accessible around-the-clock.
• Managed services are available with various services and expertise to pick from, whether in NYC or any other major city.
• You should receive an SLA (Service Level Agreement) from your managed service provider that outlines the results you anticipate from your collaboration.
• Managed service consultants bill firms with set monthly fees to help them better control their spending.
• Location is a crucial factor to consider when picking an MSP. We advise businesses to employ MSPs in the region or, at the very least, in the same city. When anything goes wrong on-site and companies have to wait for the MSP to send an IT specialist to assist fix it, the waiting game is a major drawback of joining a managed IT services provider.
• Service level agreements (SLAs) allow MSPs to function based on the signed contracts. Expect to pay extra fees if your contract doesn’t cover something.
Why do you Need a Dedicated IT Team?
Having a dedicated IT team is essential for any organization that relies on technology to operate efficiently and effectively. A dedicated IT team can provide essential support and expertise to ensure your organization’s technology infrastructure operates smoothly, securely, and cost-effectively. Investing in a dedicated IT team can improve productivity, prevent downtime and security incidents, and support your organization’s growth and success.
You’ll likely need to bring on a dedicated IT team if hiring an IT guy or an MSP. This is because most managed IT service providers will only hire entry-level IT staff. You may consider bringing a CIO or a senior IT executive who can manage other employees.
As an IT department takes shape, you may consider hiring experienced IT executives to oversee specific aspects of your technology. For instance, if your company has a significant revenue stream that relies on technology, you may want to hire someone to manage the revenue stream.
Managed IT services are here to stay. But remember that while they are cost-effective and can help your business, they are not a silver bullet. In other words, they’re a great choice to supplement your in-house IT team if you have one.
The best course of action is to understand your business thoroughly. How invested you are in your money’s capabilities, demands, and functions will determine how much you can get out of it. Whether it’s a single IT professional or a team of managed service providers, what counts is that your needs are appropriately handled.
While most MSPs focus on outsourcing technical tasks, Protected Harbor is different. It provides managed security services (MSS) to businesses, offering proactive monitoring of physical and cyber assets. Protected Harbor is the right choice if you are looking for a managed service provider that can grow with your company as it scales.
We are the top-rated manage service providers in Rockland county, NY. We work with businesses at all stages, from startups to enterprises. If you need ongoing assistance with managing your IT infrastructure or if you want to outsource a specific task like software development, we can help. We pride ourselves on being a one-stop shop for all your technology needs.